Hearty & Healthy Vegetable Stew
Brrrr! Looking for some comfort through the longest, darkest nights of Winter? This hearty & healthy vegan recipe from Lindsay Mustard's kitchen is packed full of seasonal root vegetables, vitamins and minerals, because who says comfort food has to be unhealthy?
-By Lindsay Mustard
For the saute mixture:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 stalks celery thinly sliced
- 2 carrots thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
For the roux and deglazing mixture:
- ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp fresh rosemary and thyme finely chopped
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
For the rest of the vegetable stew:
- 1 medium sweet potato cubed (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups mini potatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cups frozen kale
- Sea salt to taste
- Add the olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and carrot. Cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally or until the onion is softened. Add the garlic, black pepper, and fresh herbs, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the flour slowly to coat the vegetables. Once all of the flour is added, cook for about 1 minute while constantly stirring. Very slowly add the white wine and vegetable broth stirring continuously until the mixture is incorporated.
- Stir in the mini potatoes, sweet potato, tomato paste and tamari. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender and stew is thickened, 20-30 minutes.
- Stir in the frozen corn and kale and cook for another 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper!
Lindsay Mustard is a Holistic Nutritionist, Yoga Instructor and recipe-wizard with a burning passion for health and fitness. In her nutrition practice, Lindsay works with clients to craft a unique plan that is tailored to their specific health goals using a natural, whole food and supplement approach.